Emerging change that could disrupt the mining industry
Posted by Talitha Hlaka on 31 July 2017 3:55 PM SAST
What are possible emerging changes that could disrupt the mining industry?
1. Mining technology - what about job losses ( incl the youth)
2. information deficiencies amongst African countries
3. Need for collaboration around data; data sharing
- 4. Linkages with mining inputs really low. Need for coordination
5. Increase in small efficient mines. Perhaps the era of big scale is gone. Some commodities can never go small in size
6. Transformation of political relations into trade relations is non-existent. The need to go beyond into economic relationships.
7. Lack of big internal markets still matter
8. Mining sector not inclusive of the community - tech that could help contact the whole community.
9. Education - skills transfer in the industry
10. How do we link the industrialisation strategy with the resources we have
11. We have models that are failing to compete with the rest of the world, i.e China, India.
12. Need to open up the market